Saturday, January 2, 2021

Classics

 Every once in a while I will come across a list of books and say I should read this or that. Recently I actually followed through and read Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein back to back. First off they were both worth the read I guess that's why there classics.  It was interesting to me how different they seemed from the old Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff movies of my youth. Dracula surprised me with the level of spirituality and some of the late 1800's  phraseology, but a solid story if a little wordy in spots. Frankenstein although written almost a full century earlier had a more modern feel to the writing. The thing that struck me with Frankenstein was the impression that the doctor was acting maybe even thinking in a more female way.

4 comments:

  1. It's been ages since I read these. I remember reading Dracula for the first time in high school, and I had to turn on lights in the house to get from the couch to my bed. Scary!

    Frankenstein gets even less faithful film/tv adaptations than Dracula does, and that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was especially taken with the intelligence and speed of the monster in Frankenstein. The movies show a plodding creature with little ability to vocalize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most faithful Frankenstein adaptation I've seen is this 2004 2-episode miniseries (later edited and released as a film on DVD):
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_(miniseries)
      There's a trailer here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45VJXmLRIM

      Delete