Sunday, July 24, 2011

Book review

One of my favorite places to go is Half Priced Books. Recently while browsing a rack of older paperbacks I came across a copy of The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson. It was a book I remember being assigned to read for CCD Catholic education for kids who go to public school. I picked it up and looked at it but put it back but couldn't leave it alone so I spent the buck and brought it home.

The Cross and the Switchblade is the story of one man who is drawn by God to work with troubled teens in N.Y. city. This man a country preacher (David Wilkerson) from Pennsylvania finds his way to N.Y.'s ghettos and with the help of the Holy Spirit learns how to reach out and help drug addicted, violent teens. His efforts help to establish an organization of caring people to work with the severely disadvantaged.

It's funny when it was assigned I never read more than a couple pages before I blew it off and stopped reading. As an adult I read it fairly quickly and really enjoyed it I guess you have to be ready to read a book.

Another odd note being intrigued by the Rev. Wilkerson I looked him up and he died just this past April.

1 comment:

  1. Never read the book, but I remember the movie from some sort of youth group gathering I went to as a kid.

    ReplyDelete