Saturday, August 15, 2009

Death penalty

A couple of weeks ago there was a lively debate over at Zeray gazette concerning the death penalty. Two stories this week reaffirmed my position in favor of the death penalty. First was the story from Fridays evening news the bomber who took down the PanAm plane over Lockerbie Scotland killing more than 200 hundred people was being considered for release. He has little time to live suffering with prostate cancer in the U.K. they have a provision for compassionate parole. Secondly I was reminded by my brother over at Keaneobservations of the release of Squeaky Fromme this week for the younger folks she was a disciple of Charles Manson and attempted to kill President Ford.

One of the arguments for dispensing with the death penalty is that life in prison is a better penalty. The problem is that if such high profile criminals can have their life sentences commuted is life in prison really life in prison.

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate the link. I've gone back and forth regarding the death penalty. I acknowledge it runs slightly counter to a pro-life point of view. The position I've reached is personally opposed, but accepting of it's need. I respect the right of society to defend itself (ourselves?) and realize society is not bound by my or any religious convictions. For those vehemently opposed to the death penalty, I'd urge them to convince others not to commit murder. No murders = no death penalty. We haven't used it for treason, or desertion in decades.

    As far as Fromme goes, I strongly believe her release was a mistake. I yield to no one in my disdain for most politicians. However, we have to admit they are targets. The only way to discourage potential political assassins is to make it very clear that even an attempt on a president's life results in the end of yours. Her release negates that message.

    ReplyDelete