Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book review/Travels with Charley

I ran across Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck at a library book sale. I read it before as a freshman in high school some 30 yrs. ago well actually closer to 40. I don't know why exactly I bought it nostalgia I guess.

I guess there is a reason authors win Pulitzers Travels won the prize in 1962. The test of time was passed with ease by Steinbeck. Most of Steinbeck's work is fictional but this is just as it sounds a travel book just John and his dog Charley. John felt he lost touch with America and had a truck retro fitted with a camper and set out to rediscover America anonymously. Through his trip he makes an effort to connect with the locals as often as he can to find the real America.

While some of the information is dated it made me remember why John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors.

1 comment:

  1. i still have this book on my shelf. i enjoyed it, too. it's fun to re-read books after a long time has passed. some books fare better than others over time, and it's interesting to note which have lasting appeal.

    ReplyDelete