Saturday, June 12, 2010

Renovation

I've posted recently about gutting my kitchen, Walls and ceiling down to the studs. I'm glad to say we are done it took total about 6 weeks. I do all the work myself or with the help of my wife or children. Sometimes there are inconveniences that go along with the work, dust and dirt, tools all over the place, Heck we had our refrigerator in the dining room for the whole project. So far I've done similar projects in 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room,laundry room,and family room, so I know the level of disruption that can ensue during a project.

Yesterday I read an article about a local women's homeless shelter. I was irritated when reading the article by the comments of a homeless advocate. You see while they are renovating the normal shelter they have temporary accommodations that include only one shower. This advocate said this was unacceptable and demanded more showers be installed immediately or to move the residents to a place with more showers.

While I don't favor willfully mistreating anyone this is ridiculous. After all they are staying for free they should be grateful for the efforts of the shelter providers. Cutting expenses sometimes most overrule hardships especially when there is an end in sight, the new accommodations are to be re-opened in the fall.

In fairness the article did say some of the residents weren't happy but realized they just had to tough it out. We would all be better off if we lived this way realizing everything doesn't have to be perfect right now. That we can grow and improve and work towards our goals and ambitions and some times even our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment