Saturday, September 5, 2009

Responsiveness

I read a letter to the editor this morning she wrote that she had written several letters to our senator Sherrod Brown asking question concerning health insurance reform. She states that questions were answered only once in an e-mail and the answer was look how good medicare is.

I had a similar experience when Senator Brown was a congressman I wrote asking his opinion on the fair tax a consumption tax to replace the income tax. I was respectful and courteous but got no reply.

My question is how responsive should legislatures be to their constituents?

2 comments:

  1. I've written letters to members of Congress before. I don't get upset when I don't get a response. After all, the volume of mail that they recieve is huge. They don't have the resources to stuff form letters into envelopes for each one.

    Anyway, taxpayers pay for mail service that sends the letters back, so we might actually be saving money.

    I'm more concerned about the way that some members of Congress are responding to town hall meetings -- acting like constituents should be grateful that members grace their presence at these meetings. At least a few have clearly forgotten who they work for.

    I saw a poll that said that 57% of Americans would replace the entire Congress. My first thought was "What's wrong with 43% of America?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. John most members of congress have large staffs and at least could acknowledge peoples queries, and via email the cost factor is not an excuse.

    ReplyDelete